Re: [Xen-users] I finally got Xen working on paravirtual as well

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I finally got Xen working on paravirtual as well
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:02:52 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:03:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday April 13 2008 03:49:55 pm trist007 wrote:
> Could you be more specific.  I just started using linux, could you give me
> a step my step procedure.

That was the step by step procedure :-)

cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
if [ -f /proc/xen/capabilities ]; then
if `grep -q "control_d" /proc/xen/capabilities`; then
  cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  exit 0; fi; fi
cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/xorg.conf

Put the above lines into a file called /etc/sysconfig/modules/video.modules.
Change to your X11 config directory (cd /etc/X11). copy the xorg.conf file
there to your two variant versions:

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.nv
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.nvidia

Go into an editor on each of the two new files, and look for the section that
looks like:

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "GeForce4 MX 420"
  BusID        "1:0:0"
  Driver       "nvidia"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  VendorName   "NVidia"
EndSection

Yeah, my card is old :-) Your BoardName and BusID will more closely match your
card. What you want to change is the Driver clause. The above is correct for
the xorg.conf.nvidia file. For the xorg.conf.nv file, in the same section,
just change 'Driver "nvidia"' to 'Driver "nv"' and save the file. 'nv' is the
nvidia dummy driver that ships with xorg that doesn't do 3d acceleration, but
works fine under xen.

Then the next time you reboot, the correct driver will be used whether you are
in xen or non-xen kernel. The only caveat is some xorg updates you get
from 'yum update', etc. might change the current /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the
next time you reboot, you will overwrite those changes with the copies you do
in the /etc/sysconfig/modules/video.modules file. You will have to be
vigilant in watching your update logs/mails if you do updates automatically
by enabling the 'yum-cron' service. By default, Fedora only advises you of
updates that are available, and expects you to manually initiate an update,
in which case watch for xorg updates.

If you see that xorg.conf and xorg.conf.bak are different after an update
(other than the trivial difference in the video Driver), then repeat the
above procedure for creating your xorg.conf.{nv,nvidia} files. Just remember
to use the newer of the two files xorg.conf and xorg.conf.bak to copy to
xorg.conf.{nv,nvidia}. (The '-p' option to 'cp' in the video.modules script
above preserves the time/date stamp, so if you have just gotten an update
that changes xorg.conf, xorg.conf will have a newer time/date stamp than
xorg.conf.bak. If you have already rebooted, xorg.conf.bak will probably be
newer than xorg.conf. If you unfamiliar with getting time/date stamps from a
directory listing, use eg - 'ls -alF /etc/X11'.)

Hope that was clearer.