Re: [Xen-users] How to stop yum update on CentOS 5.1 to modify grub

To: Bas Mevissen <abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to stop yum update on CentOS 5.1 to modify grub
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:08:32 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 07:09:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bas Mevissen wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

You can change it by modifying the file /etc/sysconfig/kernel:

# UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
# new kernels the default
UPDATEDEFAULT=yes

# DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen

Make sure that your default kernel is "kernel-xen" and not "kernel" obviously.

Regards,

Bas.

Cool, thank you. Does the kernel version affect this, or get affected by this at all?

When a new kernel is installed, the post install script touched the file to change old "kernel-smp" references to "kernel". Script should only update after a check on kernel-smp IMHO.

But if you have both xen-enabled and non-xen kernels installed, they both get updated when a new kernel of either type is available.

The /etc/sysconfig/kernel file only determines whether the newly installed kernel becomes the default. I personally don't see why there are two switched needed for that. Guess it is for historical reasons.

Regards,

Bas.

(please keep the list posted)

ok, now I have a tricky question. Do I need to have both kernels installed? What if I remove the standard kernel, and only keep the xen kernel?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com