Re: [Xen-users] Identical Win3K3 domU's. One panics dom0, other runs fin

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Identical Win3K3 domU's. One panics dom0, other runs fine
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:10:06 +0100
Cc: Don Faulkner <dfaulkner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:10:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I see you've reported this on xen-devel now.  That's probably the best place
for it...

> Your assumptions are correct. Order doesn't matter; perseus always
> causes the panic regardless of whether cepheus is already running or
> not. The vif's are commented out for debug purposes only.

OK.

> I'll report this to both xen-devel and the Ubuntu Kernel Team (since
> they apparently maintain the xen kernel too). Thanks.

The Xen project has its on XenLinux based on 2.6.18.  This gets updated with
new Xen code but obviously it's quite an old Linux version.  There's other
work underway which will eventually make newer Xen-enabled Linuxes the
official Xen project way of doing things.

Several distros maintain their own Xen kernel with the Xen-ification patches
forward ported from 2.6.18 to whatever kernel version they're running.  As a
result, Ubuntu maintain their own XenLinux patchset, which is different to
upstream Xen.

To be honest, that situation is a bit of a mess, although it should improve in
future.  This does introduce the possibility that a bug is in the
forward-ported patches of the distro, rather than the upstream Xen project
code, which is why I recommend you talk to your distributor directly as well
as to xen-devel.

Sorry to not be much help, but I hope that clarifies the situation a bit!

Cheers,
Mark