[Xen-users] Xen 3.2 and Ubuntu Hardy with Linux kernel 2.6.24

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 and Ubuntu Hardy with Linux kernel 2.6.24
From: Mark Goldfinch <xen-users@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:50:27 +1300
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:51:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

Myself and some other Ubuntu Linux server users have noticed a difficult problem attempting to run a Xen DomU using a Linux 2.6.24 kernel as supplied within Ubuntu hardy. The main symptom exhibited is that network packets sent over the network bridge exit the DomU and are seen by the Dom0, but when replies are sent back by the Dom0 to the DomU the replies never appear within the DomU.

The symptoms and attempts at trying to fix it can be seen by looking at the bug within launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xen-3.2/+bug/204010

It seems odd to me that Xen DomU support has been merged for 32-bit support in Linux mainline, but yet when attempting to run kernels since the merge we appear to have real problems with xennet processing inbound packets.

I'm yet to confirm that I have the same problem with a patched 2.6.23 kernel, but when I boot a 2.6.22 kernel from gutsy within my DomU instances; everything works just fine.

It seems to me that there's some real problem with xennet within the 2.6.24 kernel, and I would like to debug it. I've started delving into the O'Reilly book on Linux Device Drivers, but is there any pointers or assistance anyone here could render with attempting to isolate this problem?

Prior to my upgrade to Hardy and Xen 3.2 I've been running Xen 3.0.3 with Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 on 2.6.18 with no troubles whatsoever.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.