Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.7 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.7 of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 03:29:42 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:30:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 29 March 2008 03:19:54 pm Florian Manschwetus wrote:
> With win2008 it works exept networking.
> Tell me how i could help you, fixing this?

This probably relates to your problem. When I followed James' instructions
(delete xen*.sys, except xenhide.sys, reboot w/o /gplpv, run install.bat),
the final screen of the wizard box said all my drivers were status 'Device
Updated', except xenenum & xennet, which said 'Ready to Use', which typically
means (based on previous experience with the PV drivers) that the driver
wasn't updated. However, for xenenum, a 'Found New Hardware' wizard box came
up automatically and lead me through installing it. Going into Device
Manager, the Driver tab of 'Xen Enum Device Driver Properties' correctly
showed a Driver Version of 0.8.7.

For xennet however, no device choice was given for the PV device under Network
Adapters, and couldn't be updated, not even by running install.bat twice. I
rebooted w/ /gplpv, and got a BSOD, with:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8AB5524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Btw, there does not seem to be a 'Xen PCI Device Hider' in Device Manger
anymore. xenhide.sys seems to be one of the drivers under 'Xen PCI Device'
now. Probably related to not having a xenhide.inf anymore in the 0.8.x
series. I do think that driver updates have been less reliable since this
change, tho'.

2nd btw, if you click on View -> Show hidden devices, among other things, you
get:

Network Adapters
  Direct Parallel
  Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
  Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
  Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Virtual Machine Network
Services Driver

but for Xen Net, only:

  Xen Net Device Driver - Packet Scheduler Miniport
  Xen Net Device Driver - Virtual Machine Network Services Driver

So, again, we are missing a device.

Copying xen*.sys from 0.8.6 on top of the of the ones in c:
\WINDOWS\system32\drivers still causes the same BSOD when booting w/ /gplpv.
Also, the Xen Net PV nic is still missing.

When copying xen*.sys from 0.8.4 on top of the of the ones in c:
\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and rebooting w/ /gplpv, the Hardware Wizard came
up for xennet. When I told it to install the 0.8.7 xennet, I got the BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF5F349BC,0xF8AF14EC,0xF8AF11E8)

***   xennet.sys - Address F5F349BC base at F5F2D000, DateStamp 47ee3c8e

Repeating the above, but telling the Hardware Wizard to install the 0.8.4
xennet, I got the BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF81219BC,0xF8AE94EC,0xF8AE91E8)

***   xennet.sys - Address F81219BC base at F811A000, DateStamp 47ee3c8e

Apparently, the system restored the 0.8.7 xennet anyway. Repeating copying the
0.8.4 xennet, I finally restored my gplpv functionality.