Re: [Xen-users] RE: exporting HVM physical device

To: "Johnson, Tony M" <Tony.Johnson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: exporting HVM physical device
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:19:12 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:16:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Di, Mär 25, 2008 at 07:38:16 -0400, Johnson, Tony M wrote:

> [...]

why?

disk = [ 'file:/xen/images/RHEL.img,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

it's ok

> question 1: When using virt-install to create a fully virtualized redhat
> domain, where/how should I specify the location
>
>                  (e.g., /dev/sdaX, /xen/images/file.img, other)?
>
> question 2: What is the proper syntax to export disk in the configuration
> file given the above?
>
> question 3: How do I access the disk within the domain?

/dev/hda == entire disk

/dev/hda1 |
/dev/hda2 |= partitions on it
...       |
/dev/hdaN |

> question 4: How do I access the CDROM within the domain?

/dev/hdc (according to your config)

> question 5: Any clue why STARTX results in a partially visible, unusable
> XTERM? Should QEMU be used instead of VNC?

QEMU = emulator,
VNC = remote access protocol.

So it's impossible to use one instead of another :)

To solve the problem, try to reconnect vncviewer,
after domU changes its resolution and mode.
Just close vncviewer and attach it again.

> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

WBR, i.m.chubin