[Xen-users] poor network performance on domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] poor network performance on domU
From: Teun Vink <teun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:07:35 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:08:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I recently started with Xen (3.1.0) on my new server running Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) and I'm experiencing very poor network performance on my domU's.

Since my colo provider offers me a /28 of routed public IPs next to one interconnection IP to their routers, I built a Xen configuration as described in http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/360 (a routed setup instead of the default bridged). This works as expected: all domU's are accessible from the internet.

The network performance of the Dom0 is fine: I can saturate my 100Mb/ sec uplink both by uploading and downloading. Performance towards the domU is fine as well. Performance from the DomU's to the internet however is dramatic: speeds start at 2-3MB/sec but quickly drop to just a few KB/sec (!). Transfer of large files never end at all.

The server I'm running this on is a Supermicro H8SSL-i2 with and AMD Opteron 1218 Dual Core proc, 4GB RAM, the NIC is a Broadcom 1G interface connected to a 100Mb/sec switchport at my ISP.

I've tried searching these archives (and the internet) for any clue what might cause this poor upload performance, but failed to find anything really useful.

If anyone has hints and tips on how to make my DomU's uplink speed normal, I'd really appreciate it. I really have no idea where to look now :(

TIA,

Teun