Re: [Xen-users] Xen and PPC and ARM

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and PPC and ARM
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:58:11 +0000
Cc: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:59:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Supported hardware platforms:
> >
> >     * i386
> >     * x86_64
> >     * IA64
> >
> > Support is developing for the platforms:
> >
> >     * PPC (stalled)

At this stage I'd rather say "unknown", because I really don't know what's
happening.

> >     * ARM (poor)

I'd say "in progress" - it's not available in mainline Xen yet, but companies
do seem to have some sort of commitment to making it work.

> >     * MIPS port mentioned

No idea if this was mentioned seriously, or just tossed about as an idea.

> > Can I run a 64-bit HVM-domain in a 32-bit host system?
> >

> >  Dom0  domU
> >   32    32     Ok
> >   32    64     ??
> >   64    32     Ok
> >   64    64     Ok
> >

> > As far as I can understand it is possible
> > but hypervisor (and domain0) should be PAE-enabled.
>
> No, it's not possible - how should that work (and why would you want to
> do it)?
>
> If you really need to start 64bit guests on a 32bit host, you may have
> some luck with Qemu emulation, though.

You can, in fact, run a 32-bit PAE dom0 and a 64-bit domU, provided Xen itself
is 64-bit.  This might even perform better than using a 64-bit dom0, due to
various differences between x86_64 and x86_32 - it's crazy stuff.

There used to be some limitations on whether suspend / resume / live migration
worked when dom0 and domU were in different x86 modes.  This restriction may
have been lifted since I last saw it mentioned.

Cheers,
Mark