[Xen-users] Limits on memory which can be set using xm mem-set

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Limits on memory which can be set using xm mem-set
From: Jiri Denemark <jirka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:40:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:51:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have a machine with Xen 3.1.3 and 4 GB of memory, 192 MB used by dom0. After
starting a new domain with 3400 MB of memory, everything looks as expected.
However, if I mem-set the memory of domU to be 160 MB, xm info show more than
200 MB of "dark memory". That is, the difference between free memory and
memory occupied by dom0+domU is greater than 200 MB. Now, when I connect to
the domU using xm console, I can see a weird message:

    Setting mem allocation to 412160 kiB

/proc/meminfo in domU is consistent with it and shows MemTotal: 412160 kB

However, in dom0, xm list still shows the domU is provided with 160 MB of
memory. So, Is there any limit on minimum amount of memory which can be
assigned to a domain using xm mem-set? Perhaps the limit is somehow related to
the memory assigned to a domain at the time of its creation... Is this
behaviour normal and deterministic or even described somewhere?

And one more, loosely related question: can mem-set be made synchronous so
that after xm mem-set ends ballooning is finished and memory occupied by the
domain can be assigned to another one? That is, something similar to -w option
of xm shutdown which blocks until the domain is down.

Many thanks for your answers or suggestions

Jirka

--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very
angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.