[Xen-users] CPU performance load testing in dom0

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] CPU performance load testing in dom0
From: "Koen van Besien" <koen.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:10:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:10:56 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=KmRaiZfaVd1aReg97qyY7eYwjaK5Nmeg3NQ1e+u5y1w=; b=iMyzQ03A40efI4nuFqbjIkx3d4DUg5z6Diqyvnc5r1QChoj2s2wD61sCem9qARPrvge3h4fcE8e4qmz0x939/w21T2aoIj2X4o2JoqGyQQFVbBhiBfeE7buZHEgf0SGRIDPbtVO9gUuMlMjQddZ6VSBOyAznckV9nS+MCUx4kog=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I was wondering how I can measure the load of the cpu in dom0.
I tried it with dstat but this gave me a result that only one core is
used and thats  a bit strange.
Afterwards I realized that it was because dstat triggers on the
running processes and what
happens in the VM is not in the running processes of dom0. So I guess
this is the
overhead of running xen on the dom0.

I have this simple setup.
Dom0 with a dual core cpu
VM1 with 1vcpu and 128 mb ram
VM2 with 2vcpu and 128 mb ram

Ive installed apache2 on these VM and stress test these VM
simultaneously with a sort of httperf test.

In my VM I measure the load via dstat and see that the second VM uses
his 2 cores.
On my dom0 now, I want to see how this maps on the physical cpu load.
So I want to know
how this load on the VM is spread across the physical cpu.

I dont really see how I can extract this from the xentop tool. I dont
know if there is a way to see
the load of the 2 cores in a simple and clean way. If it is possible
provided in a csv file of something easy
to put in a graph.

I also tried the xenmon script in the xen-utils and this shows me the
load of cpu0 or cpu1 but I
dont see how to get them both without running xenmon twice.  I also
dont get yet what the numbers
mean in xenmon.
If I read the readme:

cpu(tot)  = Total time used over the measurement interval
cpu(%)   = Usage expressed in percentage
cpu/ex   = ????

So what I just want to have is some usefull data about the cpu load of dom0.

Maybe there is a simple tool to achieve this? Or maybe someone can
explain a bit more
the cpu data which xenmon provides? Because I did not find that much
other info about it.

Thx in advance

Greetings,

Koen