Re: [Xen-users] Intel VT-d Support

To: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Intel VT-d Support
From: Jeroen Torrekens <jeroen.torrekens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:38:45 +0100 (CET)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 02:40:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----- "Igor Chubin" <igor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Guys, thank you for your answers, but the question was
> not about VMX, but about VT-d.
> It's not the same!
>

> On Mi, Mär 05, 2008 at 10:31:59 +0000, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> installation is
> has
> > >
> > >  As far as I know, xm dmesg should show this, but I didn't find
> any vt-d
> > >  enabled hardware by now.
> > >  If you're hardware supports vt-d could you please post the model
> and vendor?
> >
> > This is in my xm dmesg:
> > (XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
> > (XEN) VMX: MSR intercept bitmap enabled
> > (XEN) CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5430  @ 2.66GHz stepping
> 06
> >
> > And in my xm info:
> > xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
> hvm-3.0-x86_32
> > hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
> >
> > Note that VMX support might be disabled by the BIOS.
> >
> > --
> > lfr
> > 0/0

What do you mean by: it is not the same? If VT is enabled in the BIOS you will
see vmx as processor capability in /proc/cpuinfo. If VT is disabled in the
BIOS, you will not see vmx in the capabilities array. VT == VT-d == vmx unless
I really missed something...

Cheers,
Jeroen