Re: [Xen-users] xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file

To: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:37:29 +0200
Cc: Hamid Majidy <hamid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, deshantm@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 03:38:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sadique Puthen wrote:
Todd Deshane wrote:
On Feb 7, 2008 11:47 AM, Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Feb 7, 2008 1:58 AM, Hamid Majidy <hamid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Xen user list. This is to request installation help for a Xen 3.1 guest domain. Xen installation source was CentOS 5.1 DVD. Dom0 and a guest
(clientdom) have been installed, but clientdom cannot be connected to.
Issuing command "xm create -c clientdom" generates message lines:

  Using config file "./clientdom".

  Started domain clientdom

  xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

"xen top" shows clientdom (as well as Domain-0) started, but "xm console clientdom" produces the same error, "xenconsole: Could not read tty from
store: No such file or directory."

HVM guests as far as I know don't yet support consoles. You should use
either sdl=1 or vnc=1.

If you use vnc you should make sure that xen-config.sxp has the vnc
options enabled and configured to your liking. You may also need to
manually start the vncviewer to see the guest console. The default
setting when enabled let's you do vncviewer localhost.

Also, don't pass the -c on the command line, since you can't get an
initial (text) console with the HVM guest.

This is not true. If you are running a Linux/Unix guest as HVM, you can get the initial boot messages and text console if you pass -c to the "xm create", but only after you configured your kernel to pass boot messages to serial console. Start up of a linux hvm guest on my system looks as below.

< --snip -->

Ok, so how does one fix this problem? I'm having the exact same problem (xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory) when trying to install CentOS 5.1 i386 or Fedora Core 7 i386 on CentOS 5.1 x64

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com