RE [Xen-users] Re: DomU kernel compilation question...

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit sur 03/03/2008 01:23:01 :

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:50:55 +0100, <gthiery@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just want to have the confirmation of something that i was asked for.
> > Some colleagues wanted to know if it was possible for the owner of a DomU
> > (who doesn't have any access to the dom0 host) to recompile his domU kernel
> > in order to customize the options.
>
> Of course that is possible.
>
>  I have answered him that it was not
> > possible because the domU kernel was on the dom0 /boot directory but I
> > wanted a confirmation in order to be sure that I have not said any errors.
>
> Actually, you mean that the DomU owner cannot cause this new kernel to
> be booted.

That's why, IMHO, it's preferable to use the pygrub loader and let the domU kernel and ramdisk inside the domU itself. This is acheived (for example) by installing domUs from a regular distrib tree using virt-install.

By this way, domU owners see a more regular machine, that has and uses the classic boot files with a classic grub configuration.