Re: [Xen-users] please explain to me the networking of Xen & Xen guests

To: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] please explain to me the networking of Xen & Xen guests
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:08:44 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:39:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi all

I'm rather new to Xen, and want to understand the networking behind it.

Let's say my server has the following IP addresses: 192.168.10.10/24 - 192.168.10.20/24 and these are all setup on the same NIC, as eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2, etc etc.

Do I assign a static IP address to a Xen guest from this pool? And will this then be bridged, or how does it work?

Or do I rather un-assign the IP address(es) in question, and just set them up in the Xen guest?

Yes, You need to unassign these ips from dom0 and set them up in the Xen guest.

Lastly, if I had mrtg / munin / Nagios on the main server, who will it be able to graph each Xen guest's traffic individually?

I think you can do this by monitoring traffic through the vifx.x interface which handles the network traffice for the guest.

--Sadique