Re: [Xen-users] IPcop in Xen

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 12:22 +0000, Mark Hayward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction for getting Ipcop to work
> with xen? Is it even possible? I have googled and seen a couple of
> people say they have done it, can anybody just give me a breif idea of
> what is involved?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Mark

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 12:22 +0000, Mark Hayward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction for getting Ipcop to work
> with xen? Is it even possible? I have googled and seen a couple of
> people say they have done it, can anybody just give me a breif idea of
> what is involved?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Mark

I have it set up on my network. (Gentoo 32-bit with xen 3.1)

Unless a recent version of IPCOP changed, you have to use HVM because
its using a 2.4 kernel.

I'm using 3 network cards on my dom0.

NIC 0 -- Default connection and bridge for all other guests besides
ipcop.

NIC 1 -- Local connection for IPCop (i.e. "green" connection from the
system to my switch)

NIC 2 -- External connection to IPCop (i.e. "red" connection from the
modem to the system)

You need to use a custom network script for xen. (If you don't know how
let me know or google it, it's pretty easy and well documented)
The script i use to create the bridges is:
#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2 netdev=eth2 bridge=xenbr2

I do _not_ bring eth2 up on the dom0.  If the nic is up, I was unable to
get a DHCP address in IPCOP, so make sure it is down.

Once the network is setup, just install ipcop as a normal hvm guest
putting only xenbr1 and xenbr2 in the config file.

I *think* you should be able to do it with only 2 nic's, but don't know
for sure.  I had enough room and nic cards are cheap enough that I
didn't even bother trying with that setup.

If you need anything more clear let me know.