Re: [Xen-users] Does anyone use Slackware w/Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Does anyone use Slackware w/Xen
From: Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:03:26 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:04:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wouter,

Thanks for the response.

I did some checking, and the current running kernel does not have (in its config) the CONFIG_SCSI_SATA option at all. Believe it or not, I've tried the initrd build as well and that gave me a similar error, although not exactly the same as the one created from the build.

Do you know is there a way to patch the current running kernel with the xen options? Perhaps that would give me more luck.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Wouter de Geus wrote:
To reply to your topic:
Yes, I run Slackware w/Xen.

To be more specific, I'm running slackware 11.0 as a Dom0 with Xen 3.1.

Your grub config looks almost the same as mine, except I'm using md0 instead of
sda2 to boot from.

Did you configure your kernel yourself?
If not you probably need an initrd to load the kernel modules required for your
sda device
and filesystem.
I personally don't like the initrd approach very much so I configured my kernel
to include all the drivers.
(which obviously works for me)

You probably need CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y and CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y in your kernel
config, but I can't say much more
based on the information you provided.

Good luck :)

Wouter.

* Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx> [2008-02-26 07:41:24 -0600]:

List,

I'm trying to use Slackware 12 has the basis for a Xen DomO install. I've been able to successfully do everything until after the kernel build. I believe I'm missing something in the kernel build that would help me fix this, but have exhausted "Google" and "Xen" sources to date. Here has been my procedure so far:

1.) Install Slackware 12 with X and all development packages, ext3 filesystem.
2.) Install swaret for slackware updates, modify the config and run:
        a.) swaret --update
        b.) swaret --upgrade
3.) Install grub: swaret --install grub
4.) Run grubconfig
5.) Reboot and verify grub install
6.) Download and untar xen-3.2.0.tar.gz
7.) Run hg clone -r 406 http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
8.) cd xen-3.2.0
9.) Run make world and then make install
10.) vi /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the kernel as a boot option

When the machine is booted, it kernel panics and says that it cannot find block device. The block device line is setup like the working config, which still boots fine. Below is an example of the grub menu.lst:

# Linux Xen Kernel
  title Linux-Xen on (/dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/xen-3.2.0.gz console=vga
  module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Linux on (/dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=771

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies