Re: [Xen-users] GPL PV drivers in Windows Server 2008

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] GPL PV drivers in Windows Server 2008
From: Onno Molenkamp <onno@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:24:18 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:24:51 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple/simple; d=flox.org; s=sentia; t=1203942259; bh=3GlIjDQCPsY/dbImtsQCtI2TBQUMkdL0DVWSf6zgsdw=; h=From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:References:In-Reply-To: MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id; b=Fm7T2ZfXClJLgJTY2ZrpGPtjOxu4M1CVCh6vR8/blLm1XaciYc2hJtF/mqA3XngDQ dzHKgfI+LyTxTSmAOvuS7dmE3obIKLOJe94XRvVi/P3ADyFRgnGez4df0a7bLfbdG4P yDgQpm8Ur4+cIW+y9ubP/r3wzxNVyk7B49uv/Nc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

Op Monday 25 February 2008 11:45:48 schreef James Harper:
> Can you put something like it in, eg GPLPV=1?

No, you can only set predefined options. They all have a unique 32 bit id
(type) and a data type (format). In bcdedit you can also use display names
for most of the settings for easier editting.

The ones used by winloader are listed here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362670(VS.85).aspx

From several bits of documentation I've found it looks like you should be able
to add custom types, but I couldn't find an API for it.

> If so, tell me what the contents of the "SystemStartOptions" string is
> inside the "\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control" key
> in regedit, and I'll see what I can do.

I think SystemStartOptions is only set for compatibility reasons, mine only
contains a few of the BCD options that are set. How it maps BCD options to a
SystemStartOptions value.. no clue. I couldn't get it to include a custom
string there.

The ver output on Windows Server 2008:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

And Vista:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Please not that localized versions also translate the "Version" string, eg a
Dutch version says "[versie 6.0.6000]" instead.

Onno