Re: [Xen-users] Some questions from a novice

> [...]  If you want a more stable server OS, try CentOS.  CentOS 5 uses
>
> > the 2.6.18 kernel w/ drivers backported to enhance its hardware support.
>
> Mark, could you please share URLs for getting started with that?  I'm
> sure many on-list will appreciate the extra information.

Apologies for the late response.

Hmmm.  Well, http://www.centos.org is the homepage of the CentOS project.

Details of the CentOS Plus repository which contains a kernel with extra
features enabled relative to the default CentOS configuration:
http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/CentOSPlus

Note that the CentOS Plus kernel enables extra features in the build, but the
vanilla CentOS kernel does (I believe) already contain some backported
hardware support from newer kernel versions, so it may already contain stuff
that the equivalent mainline kernel version does not.  I don't know if CentOS
Plus backports even more stuff or just enables more compile options.

I unfortunately can't find a reference for the backporting of features to the
vanilla CentOS / RHEL kernel codebase; I've found multiple references but
nothing definitive.  I believe it's part of RedHat's practices though this
might be best confirmed by one of the RH developers.

Cheers,
Mark