RE: [Xen-users] Exporting a PCI Device

Jan,

Please try to use bonnie++ or some specialized benchmarking tool. "dd"
is not really for benchmarking and you will get effects from caching and
lazy writeback algorithms. Bonnie++ tries to mitigate these effects by
making the data set at least twice the memory size (and perform explicit
write barriers). Also hdparm is intended to be used on disks, not
virtual things. You might get strange effects here.

What IS a very good thing is that you did multiple runs, but these have
HUGE variantions, up to 20% from the mean value. This counts for both
dom0 and domU. If everything is well, the variantions between runs
should be a lot smaller.

Also you should use the same areas on the disks for tests. Towards the
end of the disk, the thing will get slower transfer speeds.

>What do you mean when you say "deeper trouble"? Do you refer
>to Xen code or something about the infrastructure configuration?

Yes, it could be that components in your system, when mixed properly,
behave poorly. On this, result for dom0 and domU seem to be similar for
a local disk.