Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 Debian 2.6.18 on Dual Xeon with Remote Serial ac

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2 Debian 2.6.18 on Dual Xeon with Remote Serial access - grub.conf config advice needed
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:02:54 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 06:03:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Luke,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:20:48PM -0500, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> hi there, long subject line i know but it has all the right buzzwords in it :)
>
> i have a debian/testing system which is, rather unusually, on a dual-xeon
> system where the _only_ access i have, in emergencies, is via a serial
> console.  yes - the BIOS is actually over the serial console not the VGA
> screen.
> (for those people who know blackcatnetworks, it's one of their leased servers)

I'm a former black cat colo customer myself.  I used my own hardware
though, so am not familiar with their leased servers.

> i could really do with some advice on how to configure grub correctly. what i
> have so far shows absolutely nothing on the serial console beyond loading
> the two modules and going "boot".  then it goes silent, i can't see the
> startup
> log messages, and i have to pray that i got everything right and sit
> uncomfortably
> for a couple of minutes, pinging the remote ip address.

Here's the relevant bits of what I use, it works for me on Debian
Etch.  It may not be the best or most correct way.  Use at your own
risk:

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=10 serial console

# kopt=root=/dev/sda3 ro

# defoptions=console=tty0 console=ttyS0

# xenhopt=com1=9600,8n1 console=com1,vga dom0_mem=1024M

# xenkopt=console=tty0 console=ttyS0

then update-grub creates correct entries for me, with output going
to both serial and monitor.

Note also that you can put your own custom entries in between these
two lines:

# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

and update-grub will not mess with them.

I'm assuming you have a getty listening on ttyS0 as well?
(/etc/inittab)

Cheers,
Andy