[Xen-users] xen 3.2 network problems

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xen 3.2 network problems
From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:50:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 04:51:50 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I try to get networking running with xen 3.2, but it seems I fail miserably.

I am on sles10sp1, with xen 3.2.0, and kernel rpm's installed from SP2.

I configured in /etc/sysconfig/network the NETWORK_LIST:

NETWORK_LIST="bridge,0,default,00:DE:AD:BE:EF,192.168.8.13/24,dhcp-off"

but an ifconfig xenbr0 still shows the mac address of peth0
fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.

Initially, I had a bond interface on top of eth0 and eth1, the default route
was via the bond interface. after rebooting the xen kernel, it saw a message
that veth0 was missing, it said maybe because of not enough available
loopback devices. I think more that this had to to with the bond0 interface.
However, I followed the advice, and created some files below /etc/modprobe.d
with following contents:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/*loop
options loop max_loop=64
options netloop nloopbacks=64

Also, with the bond interface, when the ordinary network started, it created
the bond0 interface, and I was able to ping it for some seconds, until xend
was started, and it tried to add the bond0 to the xenbr0.

when I now restart xend, I have veth0-veth63 and I have vif0.0-vif0.63. Is
this the way it should be? I thought it would only create virtual interfaces
for the amount of physical interfaces on the dom0 available, at least this
was how I have it seen on xen 3.0.4 and 3.1.0.

Then I removed the bond0, and only had a eth0 interface, with IP configured,
the default route of the dom0 now via the eth0 interface. After a reboot,
this was working well.

So fine, then I added a vlan on top of the eth0, and rebooted. Without
starting xend, I was able to communicate via eth0 and the vlan, then I
started xen, and the tcpdump on the vlan interface stopped seeing packets on
that interface. The eth0 was still working. On xen 3.0.4 and xen3.1. I had
no such problem with vlan interfaces, so is there anything I am missing?

kind regards
Sebastian