Re: [Xen-users] Problems running Debian as Guest System on SLES10 Dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems running Debian as Guest System on SLES10 Dom0
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:36:13 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:37:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 30 January 2008 10:05:59 Jonathan Ervine wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 00:21:09 Todd Deshane wrote:
> > its quite funny because sles 10 does not have any pygrub, the only
> > way
> >
> > > to create vms is the domUloader.
> > > yesterday I tried had some idea but i dont know if this is a good
> > > or a worse idea maybe you can give my some feedback.
> >
> > Why doesn't sles 10 have pygrub? pygrub comes with Xen.
>
> SLES seems to use domUloader instead of pygrub. I'm not the person to
> ask as to why this is the case, though I believe it was done to
> support booting operating systems that don't use grub as a
> bootloader. Using domUloader requires the kernel and ramdisk to be
> booted to be specified in the config file though. It did look like
> the original poster had done this correctly via bootargs. I'll need
> to check that the syntax used is correct, and I can only do this
> tonight when I can fire up my Xen system. The kernel and ramdisk do
> not necessarily have to be within the DomU filesystem - they can
> reside on the Dom0 filesystem.

OK - checked this last night. There is pygrub in SUSE Linux, and
domUloader is used instead which requires the kernel and initrd to be
specified in the config. This can be on the Dom0 filesystem or in the
DomU disk image and their location(s) are specified using the bootargs
parameter or explicitly in the config file e.g. kernel=

Going back to the original query, it should be possible to boot via a
Debian kernel, so long as it is Xen enabled and, in my experience,
isn't a PAE kernel trying to boot on a non-PAE Xen kernel.

Jon