Re: [Xen-users] Major /dev/urandom (Security) issue? [jailtime.org issue

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Major /dev/urandom (Security) issue? [jailtime.org issue]
From: Ken Bass <kbass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:29:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:30:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ken Bass wrote:
I'm new to Xen. I'm using the Xen that comes with Centos 5.1 (which is 3.1). When I read from /dev/urandom, the values NEVER change. My domU is a Centos 5.1 instance. Below I run the simple command twice and get the same numbers. If I run another domU I get the SAME numbers!
First, thanks for those who responded telling me their system was working fine. As a followup, I've discovered that the /dev/urandom file is just a regular file, not a special character file like it should be. This would explain the behavior. The Xen centos 5.1 image that I am using as a test was downloaded from http://jailtime.org/download:centos:v5.1

While the initial filesystem image shows /dev/urandom as a special char device, it seems that on bootup, it is overwritten or something. I notice that rc.sysinit was modified and the line '/sbin/start_udev' was commented out. I suspect that has something to do with it.