Re: [Xen-users] steps to install xen3.1 from source

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] steps to install xen3.1 from source
From: "Huang,Wei" <first_huang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:09:38 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:57:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks a lot. I tried the Tarball and rpm Package
install, and generate initrd with "mkinitrd", but
after reboot, the system can not be booted again.
Is that because that mein SuseLinuxEntpriseServer10
SP1(kernel 2.6.16.46-0.12) can not directly use the
XenKernel 2.6.18 ?

my Suse is a Virtual Machine which created with VMware
infrastrucuture from the Computer Center Server. Will
that cause any problem?

So i want to build a XenKernel from my suse kernel
2.6.16.46-0.12. But when i build from Xen3.1 source
file with "make world" "make install", it generated
still the XenKernel 2.6.18.

Where can i costomize the settings so that it will
generate XenKernel with my original suse kernel
version?

thanks
Wei

--- Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

> On Jan 19, 2008 4:57 AM, Onkar <onkar.n.m@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > /lib/modules/2.6.18-xen  ??
> >
> > I am faced with the same problem .. on Debian
> system . How would i  know
> > which modules to select as a part of initrd image
> .. Is there any way(tool)
> > to know those minimal set of modules or any kind
> of 'rule of thumb'.
> >

> A good rule of thumb is when running in the system
> that is or will be the
> domain0 do run the lsmod command to see what modules
> are loaded on your
> standard system without Xen-enabled. Doing a install
> either from source or
> packages should also put the xen kernel modules in
> /lib/modules. You can
> also check the downloaded binary or source package's
> install directory to
> find out what it plans to install.
>
> Regards,
> Todd
>

> > - Onkar
> >
> > On Jan 19, 2008 10:14 AM, Todd Deshane
> <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> linux
> 2.6.16.46-0.12).
> contains only
> initrd. but
> seems

> Tarball, it

> install
> kernel
> but it
> steps.

> do in the
> > > >

> > > You should be able to create the initrd with a
> mkintrd or mkintramfs
> > > command.
> > >
> > > The basic idea is to pass those commands the
> proper kernel version. The
> > > kernel and the modules (that make up the initrd)
> need to make. So in your
> > > case I would expect that you should be able to
> find the proper modules in
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.18-xen. You then also need to
> pass the output file name as
> > > the initrd file. (Note, typically the command
> takes on the 2.6.18-xenpart and not the /lib/modules
> part, as that is assumed.
> > >
> > > You should be able to find good examples of
> using the proper mkinitrd or
> > > mkinitramfs command online and I believe they
> also explain that in the
> > > README that comes with the binary package.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Todd

> Vorschaufenster überfliegen. Dies
> www.yahoo.de/mail

      Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s
mit dem neuen Yahoo! Mail. www.yahoo.de/mail