Re: [Xen-users] Error: Not enough memory is available, and dom0 cannot b

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error: Not enough memory is available, and dom0 cannot be shrunk any further
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:32:27 +0000
Cc: Hayawardh V <hayawardh@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:33:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When I try to start a domU, it gives me an error:
>
> [root@xx xx]# xm create -c /etc/xen/fedora.fc6.cse
> Using config file "/etc/xen/fedora.fc6.cse"
> Error: Not enough memory is available, and dom0 cannot be shrunk any
> further

Usually this happens when you're bumping against dom0's low memory limit.
This is set in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp as something like "dom0-min-mem".
What was that set to when you had problems?

You may find something interesting in the output /var/log/xend.log but I
somewhat doubt it...

Another thing that's worth noting is that I often recommend people disable
automatic resizing of dom0's memory (set dom0-min-mem to the special value 0)
and set dom0's memory footprint on the Xen commandline (dom0_mem=) instead.
This means dom0 starts off the right size for your particular configuration
and also that you won't confuse dom0's memory manager with the shrinking.

Cheers,
Mark

> xm list gives:
>
> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State
> Time(s)
> Domain-0                                     0   932     1     r-----
> 94.2
>
> /etc/xen/fedora.fc6.cse:
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-6.fc7xen"
> ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.21-6.fc7xen.img"
> root="/dev/sda1 ro"
> memory = 128
> name = "fedora.fc6"
> vifs = [ '' ]
> dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk = ['tap:aio://etc//xen//rpath.img,sda1,w']
> extra = "selinux=0 3"
> access_control = ['policy=dept,label=CSE']
>

> Using the binaries of yum install xen kernel-xen I am able to start the
> domain using the same config file.
>
> Thanks,
> Hayawardh

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.