RE: [Xen-users] Xen, HVM guest won't start without VNC=1

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen, HVM guest won't start without VNC=1
From: "Norton, Jerry" <jnorton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:28:10 -0500
Cc: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:28:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Mi, Dez 19, 2007 at 05:45:10 -0500, Norton, Jerry wrote:
> > Hi all.  I have a scenario that I've tried searching for but I'm a
> > little unsure of what to be looking for in the first place.
> >
> > I have a guest domU that was setup using HVM and installed straight
> from
> > CD.  The host and guest both happen to be Debian since I'm trying to
> do
> > a proof of concept that I can install other guest OS's.  I thought
> I'd
> > start simple and install the same OS but from scratch, so to speak.
> >
> > The issue I have is that I can start the guest domU and connect
using
> > VNC, networking, ssh, etc are all working correctly.  However, since
> > only want to use the VNC display when SSH isn't available, I
disabled
> it
> > in my config file.  When I do that, the guest domain never starts
up.
> > It shows up in an xm list but has not CPU and no state.
> >
> > So to summarize, my guest domain is only starting up when I have
> 'vnc=1'
> > enabled in the config file. Any help on how to get it to start
> without
> > using VNC?
> >

> As far as I understand one of the options (either vnc, or sdl)
> should be enabled. Otherwise domain will not work.
>
> What bad if you bound VNC to local interface?

[Norton, Jerry] Thanks for the reply Igor.  I did some digging and found
a reference to SDL in a qemu.log.  I guess nothing is wrong with running
VNC, it's just that I'm a little paranoid.  I hate having processes
running that no one will be using and try my best to keep servers very
lean.  I see it as a potential security risk.

Am I understanding correctly that SDL needs X11?  I'm adverse to running
X11 on a server.  I prefer to keep them console only.

I'm ultimately looking to run the guest OS's headless and running in the
background with a backdoor console that I can start up only as needed.

I guess if VNC or SDL w/ X running are the only options, I'll work with
them.  I just want to be sure those are the only options.

> > Here's my config file
> > ***
> > kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader'
> > builder = 'hvm'
> > device_model='/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'
> > memory = '256'
> > disk = [

'phy:/dev/xendisks/base_deb,ioemu:hda,w','phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r'