Re: [Xen-users] Xen PV drivers for FreeBSD

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen PV drivers for FreeBSD
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 23:08:59 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:09:53 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Does anybody know something about Xen PV drivers for FreeBSD?
>
> As far as I know there are no stable
> Xen PV-drivers for FreeBSD at the moment.
> But what about experimental drivers?

None that I know of.  There's sourcecode available for a freebsd port to Xen;
it probably wouldn't be too difficult to adapt this to create PV-on-HVM
drivers.  Might be a good project for a FreeBSD kernel developer wanting to
play with Xen stuff.

> I think it would be interesting not only
> for me but for all who runs HVM domains
> FreeBSD.

Yes.  Of course it'd be nice to get the FreeBSD port finalised, but I think it
lacks a developer at the moment.

> And the second question.
>
> I run FreeBSD in domUs which work on host systems
> with AMD CPUs only.
>
> I could not run FreeBSD in HVM domain on
> Intel-based host systems.
>
> Has anybody successfully run FreeBSD in a HVM domain on Intel-based host?

The problem with FreeBSD on Intel was that the realmode emulation code
currently available was not comprehensive enough to get FreeBSD to boot
(maybe it was just the bootloader, but I guess it could have been FreeBSD
early kernel code too).

Intel is capable of running FreeBSD anyhow, it's just a software problem which
should be resolved eventually.  I don't know if it works yet though, or how
fast any development in that area is progressing.

Cheers,
Mark

> The message [1] describes several FreeBSD kernel options
> that should be disabled in order to make FreeBSD work
> in a HVM domain. The message is not directly related to Intel-based
> host systems, but may be disabling of listed options can help to
> solve problems with the Intel-based systems too?
>

> Thank you!
>

> [1]
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-August/076400.html

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.