Re: [Xen-users] Gigabit Interface - XEN Full Virtualization

To: Artur Baruchi <mail.baruchi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Gigabit Interface - XEN Full Virtualization
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:48:28 +0530
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:19:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Artur Baruchi wrote:
Hi Guys,

I installed a full virtual machine, and its using a eth1 bridge.
Well... in my real machine, this eth1 is a gigabit interface, as u can
see:

[root@athlonam2 CONF]# ethtool peth1
Settings for peth1:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: d
        Link detected: yes

I noted that the lspci output are different, and I would like to know,
how can I make my xen virtual machine see the same Hardware, so I can
force a 1000 Full speed.

You can't get Gigabit speed for your NIC in HVM. Whatever network cards you have on the physical system, it's emulated as a 10/100 mbps Realtek card to the HVM.

Use paravirtualized drivers for HVMs to enhance the network card performance and throughput, but don't expect 1000 mbps. :-)

--Sadique

REAL:
[root@athlonam2 CONF]# lspci | grep -i ether
04:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

VIRTUAL:
[root@linuxxen01 ~]# lspci | grep -i ether
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 20)

Thanks,

Att.
Artur Baruchi