Re: [Xen-users] Problem in updating linux kernel in a remote xen virtual

To: hxsrmeng@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem in updating linux kernel in a remote xen virtual machine
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:42:30 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:13:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hxsrmeng wrote:
Hi friends,

I'd like to update a linux kernel in a remote xen virtual machine but
met a problem.

The currently working kernel in that xen VM is linux-2.6.16.46-0.12, the
local version is "-xen".

I added one module, several kernel hacking options, and change the local
version to "-mine". After recompiling, I set this "-mine" kernel as my
default one in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

But the remote xen VM always boots with the original "-xen" kernel,
ignoring the "default" setting in the menu.lst. (I have not yet the
graphic access to the VM and host). Also I can not "modprobe" the module
I added.

So, I don't know what's wrong. Is there any difference in updating
kernels in VM? Or is there any general setting to set which kernels a VM
can boot with?

Thank you so much.

BTW, when doing kernel recompiling, I did

#make menuconfig
#make clean
#make #make modules_install install

At this point,
System.map-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
config-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
vmlinux-syms-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine
vmlinuz-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine

were generated and copied to /boot automatically, but no
initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-mine. I had to use "mkinitrd" to generate it.Also,
the "-mine" entry in the menu.lst need to be added manually.

It might be true that you are not loading the guest kernel from domu filesystem via pygrub. You may be passing the guest kernels from dom0 by specifying kernel = and ramdisk = parameter in the guest configuration file. If that is the case recompiling the kernel inside the guest wouldn't take effect.

How does your guest configuration file look like?

--Sadique
Thank you again.