Re: [Xen-users] why LVM? why not Extended Partitions?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] why LVM? why not Extended Partitions?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:19:39 +0000
Cc: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:20:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My problem seems to be related to the fact that my setup is a "home-setup",
> where I replace my VMWare Workstation with Xen. The problem occurs when you
> want to use your DomU sometimes as bare-metal and sometimes as a DomU, and
> if your domU kernel does not have necessary LVM modules and tools.

Ah OK.

We usually recommend LVM in dom0 for managing domU storage.  I generally
suggest that if people are doing that they don't want to run LVM in the domU,
because then you have two levels of LVM and it makes things confusing to work
with.

If you want to have a guest that's either a domU or a bare-metal OS then I
agree that using normal partitions is better.  This is what we used to do
when testing out Xen guests and it worked fairly well at the time.  I'd
recommend that you abandon using LVM for your purposes (at least for the time
being) in order to make things easier for yourself whilst you sort out
whatever other problems you come up with.

If you're not wanting to do stuff like resizing volumes, it doesn't really
matter what you're using anyhow.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.