Re: [Xen-users] PV Drivers in Linux HVM DomU?

To: Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PV Drivers in Linux HVM DomU?
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:35:18 +0200
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:36:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:47:06PM +0100, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use HVM (full virtualization) for Linux guests but use PV
> drivers instead inside the DomU for extra performance?

Yes.

> What shall I do to be able to do it? Where can I download these drivers for
> several standard kernels? (HVM domU = standard distribution kernel,
> not-xen-aware)

You can download xen source tree and compile "unmodified drivers" from
there, or you can use the ones distributed with your distribution, if
available.

> Or, does the recent introduction of VMI into the linux kernel make this
> automatic for us? i.e. if I use any recent kernel, such as Ubuntu's
> 2.6.22-14-generic, will paravirtualized disk/network drivers be
> automatically activated?

VMI is VMware's interface to run paravirtual Linux on VMware. It doesn't
work or help at all with Xen.

If you're running paravirtual linux on xen, you already have paravirtualized
("full speed") drivers in use.

If you're using HVM domU on Xen, then you need to install Xen PV drivers on
domU.

-- Pasi