Re: [Xen-users] Installing openSuSE 10.3 as PV-guest on a LVM-drive of a

To: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing openSuSE 10.3 as PV-guest on a LVM-drive of a openSuSE 10.3 host
From: Ralf Müller <ralf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:33:20 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:34:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Am 18.11.2007 um 21:13 schrieb Thorolf Godawa:

how can I install a openSuSE 10.3 PV-guest on a LVM-drive of a openSuSE
10.3 host with Xen 3.10?

Actually - I don't know the official way to do this and I don't know exactly why it doesn't work for you. I assume domUloader.py has problems detecting a valid kernel/initrd/bootloader or whatever in your installed system. So I try
to describe what I did to get running domU's ...

As you did, I used to install systems directly into a logical volumes - but
I had to find out that it is near to impossible to upgrade a SuSE system
without a master boot record to play with. So I switched to "virtual hard
disks" within LV's.

What I currently do is to create two logical volumes:
/dev/vg0/test-hda
/dev/vg0/test-swap

Then I "fdisk /dev/vg0/test-hda" with one single primary partition and use
"kpartx -a /dev/vg0/test-hda" to import this virtual disk via
device-mapper. Then I create a filesystem on /dev/mapper/vg0-test--hda1
and mount the newly created filesystem.

After that I can dir-install to this filesystem via YaST. Now you have to
create a valid fstab in the new system and you have to place a valid
/etc/YaST2/control.xml file. I use just a copy of the dom0 for that - without
this you will have problems to use Community Repositories.

Important: you have to umount /dev/mapper/vg0-test--hda1
There is no detection that this filesystem is still mounted when you start
your new domU and you will kill the filesystem when it is mounted twice.

As there is no correctly installed kernel/initrd/bootloader within the
dir-installed system you have to boot it otherwise. The following script
creates an usable initrd to boot such a system. After booting the system
I install a bootloader within the booted system via yast.
Now you can switch to domUloader.py for booting this system.

=== mkinitrd-xen.sh ===
#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.status
. /etc/sysconfig/xen-bj

rc_reset
echo -n "Create initrd for domU's"

if [ -z "$DOMU_KERNEL" ]; then
    DOMU_KERNEL="vmlinuz-xen"
fi

if [ -z "$DOMU_INITRD" ]; then
    DOMU_KERNEL="initrd-domU"
fi

if [ -z "$DOMU_INITRD_MODULES" ]; then
    DOMU_INITRD_MODULES="xennet xenblk"
fi

if [ -z "$DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY" ]; then
    DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY="/etc/xen/images/boot"
fi

mkdir -p "$DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY"
cp -p "/boot/$DOMU_KERNEL" "$DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY"
mkinitrd -b "$DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY" -k "$DOMU_KERNEL" \
        -i "$DOMU_INITRD" -u "$DOMU_INITRD_MODULES"

rc_status -v -r
=== snip ===

my configuration for this:

=== /etc/sysconfig/xen-bj ===
# base kernel to be used for xen domU's
DOMU_KERNEL="vmlinuz-xenpae"
DOMU_INITRD="initrd-domU"

# modules to include in domU initrd
DOMU_INITRD_MODULES="xennet xenblk reiserfs nfs nfsd xfs dm_mod"

# directory to place kernel and initrd for domU's
DOMU_BOOT_DIRECTORY="/etc/xen/images/boot"
=== snip ===

and finally the working xen config:
=== /etc/xen/vm/test ===
name="test"
ostype="opensuse"
memory=192
vcpus=1
on_crash="destroy"
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="restart"
localtime=0
builder="linux"
#bootloader="/usr/lib/xen/boot/domUloader.py"
#bootargs="--entry=xvda1:/boot/vmlinuz-xenpae,/boot/initrd-xenpae"
kernel="/etc/xen/images/boot/vmlinuz-xenpae"
ramdisk="/etc/xen/images/boot/initrd-domU"
root="xvda1"
extra="xencons=tty"
disk=[ 'phy:/dev/vg0/test-hda,xvda,w',
    'phy:/dev/vg0/test-swap,xvdb2,w',
]
vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:34:00:16,bridge=xenbr0',
]
serial="pty"
=== snip ===

Regards