[Xen-users] Centos 5 hvm (windows 2003) crash

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Centos 5 hvm (windows 2003) crash
From: Andris <andris@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:07:38 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 06:08:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

Is anyone using windows2003 hvm in production? I mean with open source
xen (3.x). Or it's useless because of 10mbit network limit and poor disk
I/O?
I set up Centos5 with xen 3.0.3 and 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen kernel on my
AMD X2, ASUS, 4GB RAM  system, 2x320 WD sata.
I use gentoo as PV DomU firewall for other DomUs with multiple bridge
setup. All DomUs disk backends are images on lvm partition sitting on md
raid1 mirror.
For testing purposes I started 2 Ubuntu (one  pv  32bit, pae enabled,
other hvm 32bit), Gentoo Firewall (pv,64bit)  and Windows 2003 server
(hvm,32bit).
I made some all networks stress with ping multiple packet sizes and disk
write stress with dd.
I discovered, that when I do some intensive disk writes with dd within
Dom0 or in any pv DomUs my win2003 server becomes not reachable (visible
with xm list, but with state ------, no network, no vnc access, no sdl
window (if I use sdl) ).

For example:
dd if=/dev/zero of=./bigfile bs=512k count=16000  - this command in my
Dom0 leads to win2003 hvm crash, xm destroy and xm create brings it back
dd if=/dev/zero of=./bigfile bs=512k count=2000 - his command in my DomU
leads to host not reachable for a couple of seconds, then win2003 hvm
recovers.

At the same time all other DomUs (both pv and hvm) suffer no single ping
reply loss.
What could be a problem? Do I need to put win2003 image  on a separate
partition?

andris