Re: [Xen-users] XEN : Is there any way for sharing base virtual image.?

To: Arun Sharma <arunain@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN : Is there any way for sharing base virtual image.?
From: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:01:49 +0100
Cc: ashifsyed@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anand Gupta <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:02:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 02:50:10PM +0530, Arun Sharma wrote:

> Its good to know the concept given by you.I found one more thing to work the
> same like stuf.. even you will feel nice about it.
>
> UnionFS based snapshotting Or having a Read only based virtual machines.
>
> Just give a try and give the feedback. Since i found this concept
> interesting.
>
> http://flaviostechnotalk.com/wordpress/index.php/2005/06/28/filesystem-snapshots-with-unionfs/

Reading this it could actually be interesting if one gets it running on
a cluster-filesystem that is accessed by the dom0 and domUs.
More complicated than lvm-snapshots but:

- should work with more than one dom0 accessing the cluster-fs, so
migration should work (clvm and evms/heartbeat dont allow snapshots
in that mode as far as i know)
- and one can make more than one snapshot, with lvm2 i wasnt able
to create a snapshot of a snapshot, which would be nice for doing
backups of a domU that runs from the first snapshot
- and using unionfs should safe space, instead of dedicating an amount
of space to a lvm-snapshot and increasing this if needed unionfs just
uses space from the underlying filesystem

Sounds really nice ]-)
Please report if you tried.

Christian