[Xen-users] Xen domUs on Ubuntu

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen domUs on Ubuntu
From: Luke <secureboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:16:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:16:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just installed and tried to use the Ubuntu Xen packages, and wondered
if anyone out there has had similar problems to below.  I'm asking here
since I'm 90% sure that the problem isn't the package, but my
setup/configuration instead.

Firstly, Ubuntu doesn't build ext3 support into their kernel.
Consequently, I'm passing the same initrd to the domU that is passed to
dom0 on the command line.  I'm passing this via the config file, obviously.

Without the initrd, I get a Kernel panic about mounting the root fs.
This makes sense, as ext3 support doesn't exist.  With the initrd, I get
to the TLS warning about init, then "Continuing...", then nothing.

Any ideas what this could be?

Could I be using an incorrect initrd?  This seems unlikely...

I've checked that my /etc/fstab is correct...

In my config file:

disk = [ 'file:/home/myname/vms/myname.raw,hda1,w']

I've set up domUs for around 2 years now, which isn't to say I couldn't
have made a stupid mistake, but I do get the general idea, and I'm not
getting helpful error messages here.

Any ideas where to start?