Re: [Xen-users] Xen for IBM 970MP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen for IBM 970MP
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:20:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:21:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 16 October 2007 12:38:34 Ashok Hegde wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> We are planning to support the XEN on IBM PowerPC 970MP based blade
> which is running SUSE 10 Operating System.

As far as I'm aware, Xen virtualisation is a technology for Intel and
AMD class processors and therefore not applicable to PowerPC
architectures. I'm not very familiar with PPC architecture - doesn't it
have some form of virtualisation native to itself?

> We have couple of queries regarding support XEN:
>
> 1.    Is there any readily available patch for SUSE 10(as a guest) to
> support paravertualization?

These questions are all probably moot due to the above, however, SLES 10
already includes the required Xen kernel and tools. (SUSE Linux 10.0
which is now very old doesn't have an up to date implementation and
should be avoided. openSUSE 10.3 is available and has a more recent
version.

> 2.    Is there any porting required for XEN source for IBM 970MP?

N/A

> 3.    Is it support both paravertualization and Hypervisor ?, If yes, Is
> this hypervisor source is available for IBM 970MP?

Obviously the whole technology is not available for PowerPC. Xen
consists of a hypervisor (Virtual Machine Monitor), and various tools
and utilities to control that hypervisor.

Regards,
Jon