Re: [Xen-users] domU kernel

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU kernel
From: "Christoph Purrucker" <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:10:04 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 00:10:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Nico,

> There's a big advantage to pygrub: kernel update procedures for DomU have
> nothing to do with Dom0's kernel. This prevents version and feature
> conflicts with package management sytems, and allows updates and reboots
> of DomU without having to write to Dom0.

I like it the other way round: I do one kernel-update in Dom0 and all my
virtual machines profit by a simple DomU reboot. My VMs have no kernel and
no modules, so there is one source of error less for DomU-admins. No
kernel manipulations, no root-kits.

> This was particularly troublesome with the Xensource kernels for RHEL 4
> and RHEL 5, which had such different versions for kernel-xen on the
> server and kernel-xenU on the guest that it made RHEL whine quite hard
> about the Dom0 getting such an old kernel installed on it. And if you
> tried to use kernel-xen on the DomU, it created conflicts because the
> RHEL 4 kernel and RHEL 5 kernels had the same names and file names, and
> it could screw up which kernel you wound up with.

This is a Redhat problem, evil, and not a reason to use pygrub.

Gruß,
cp