Re: [Xen-users] xm create random error

On Fri September 21 2007 3:50:32 am Mirco Piccin wrote:
> Hi
>
> Put your dom0-min-mem back to the default - you don't really want it
>
> > shrinking
> > to 16M.
>
> done;
>
> Xen is not really good about returning memory to dom0 when you
>
> > shutdown a guest (more noticeable with 3.0.3 than 3.1.0). Inbetween
> > Shutting
> > down a guest after the first boot (which I assume always works) and
> > starting
> > it again, do a 'xm mem-set 0 512' so xen feels better about taking the
> > memory.
>
> done also this, but this is the situation:
> i've just power on my xen server machine; it starts but no one vm starts:
>
> xentux:~# xm list
> Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
> Domain-0                                   0      107     1 r-----     69.9
>
> xentux:~# xm mem-set 0 512
>
> ...and if i try to boot a vm:
>
> xentux:~# xm create /etc/xen/xen01etch.cfg
> Using config file "/etc/xen/xen01etch.cfg".
> Error: I need 131072 KiB, but dom0_min_mem is 200704 and shrinking to
> 200704 KiB would leave only -84804 KiB free.
>
> For many days i had no problems (powering on the xen server machine, both
> xen server and vms boot well), and today it happens again.
> Which are the variables that make xen works in this way?
>
> What's wrong?
> Thanks!

I had to download the xen-users archive to see what you said about this
before.

It's begginning to look like you have bad memory. With 1G of memory, and
dom0-min-mem back to 196, you should not be getting 107 for Domain-0's memory
in 'xm list' right after a reboot. Doing an 'xm list' immediately before and
after doing the 'mem-set' option should show an increase in Domain-0's
memory. The fact that it's intermittent again points to bad memory. Doing
a 'cat /proc/meminfo' should verify what your OS thinks is the 'MemTotal'.
Try running a memtest diagnostic overnight.

Don't have any other ideas, sorry.