Re: [Xen-users] Kernel patches

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Kernel patches
From: Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:17:35 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 03:18:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:53:42AM +0200, Adrián M. Larumbe wrote:

> Hello, I've been using the Debian distribution official packages for
> Xen, under the stable branch, Etch. The problem arises when I attempt
> to get custom compilation options in this kernel, there are no sources
> available, just the kernel binary image. Since this system is going to
> be used in machines with special hardware, there's a huge need to
> toggle appropiate compilation options under a kernel source tree.
>
> But, with the exception of a few kernel versions, I couldn't find any
> Xen kernel patches that would enable me to build a new kernel using a
> patched version, and tailor everything up to my own needs. So, my
> question is, is there any place where I can download xen source
> patches for vanilla kernels?

Have a look at this page:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelCustomCompilation

It explains how to build only selected images from the kernel source
package, with some modifications.

It's a bit complicated, but if your changes won't be too intrusive, it
should work.

--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown