Re: [Xen-users] hvm rtc always set to utc

To: "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] hvm rtc always set to utc
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:41:22 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:49:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=LITS1YS8OL57Wl3wTzUmyEKEDqWOp8sLqugclEmvUfc=; b=hs+7Jd0BL+D2BjM69WpmmVhQlNbq0oCG6t2yI1aAMWmmfdwVgztZfxNIGgGS7HgwvTqyF+FMMv1a9c9zr6a4PpQ1/Ym0927T/cr2+BO2PB0LCEDly/fR6x2ZHxCt5ZPcmCzFqhFFLYFnpf5VfhrEfxV/ghZdg5nf65vJZYpjjYU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Does anybody know the status of this problem?  I just upgraded from 3.0.4 to 3.1.0, hoping that it would contain a fix, but apparently it does not.  Or perhaps there's some component other than Xen that I need to upgrade?  Some library, or something?

The problem is that there's a configuration parameter:

    localtime = 1

That's supposed to set the emulated Realtime clock seen by HVM DomUs to local time rather than UTC.

Unfortunately, as of 3.1.0, it seems to still not work.  I have localtime=1 in my DomU's config file.  DomU is windowsXP, which expects to see local time in RTC, yet the time I see displayed on my Windows screen is UTC.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Derek.

PS:  There's a workaround kludge I've tried, that involves setting a windows registry flag to tell it to expect UTC in the RTC.  Unfortunately, this workaround is not fully implemented in windows, so it only works some of the time.