Re: [Xen-users] Xen failing to boot under Debian Etch. (FATAL TRAP)

To: "Kilburn, Preston" <preston.kilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen failing to boot under Debian Etch. (FATAL TRAP)
From: James Ray <j.ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:18:44 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:19:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kilburn, Preston wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but we are running basically the
> same setup:
> 2x Quadcores
> 16 Gig RAM
> Intel S5000PSL (S instead of A)
>
> It could be that you have an older rev of the hardware that isn't able
> to upgrade properly.  Not sure if you've checked it out - but there is a
> matrix on Intel's website:
> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-023585.htm

Yeah I have just checked this against my machine and the PBA version is
D13607-804 (higher than the required). So it should be fine.

I have just upgraded the Hypervisor to 3.1.1 (backported from Debian
lenny). And the problem still exists but in a slightly different form.

The full complement of processors still fails to work all the time but
it doesn't bail out in such a horrible way:
(XEN) Booting processor 7/7 eip 90000
(XEN) Not responding.
(XEN) Inquiring remote APIC #7...
(XEN) ... APIC #7 ID: failed
(XEN) ... APIC #7 VERSION: failed
(XEN) ... APIC #7 SPIV: failed
(XEN) Unmapping cpu 7 from all nodes
(XEN) CPU #7 not responding - cannot use it.
(XEN) Total of 7 processors activated.
(There is meant to be 8 of course)
(And carries on to boot)

I wonder if other people are experiencing this problem and just not
realizing it?

Anyone have any bright ideas? :)

--
James Ray.                          <j.ray@xxxxxxxxxx>