RE: [Xen-users] Re: xentop CPU Usage

To: <kyrios@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: xentop CPU Usage
From: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:35:23 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:36:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On a SMP system this normally means that you use 300% out of 800%.

However, note that as far as I understand, Xentop shows "virtual" CPU (VCPU) usage. So the numbers will vary depending on how you have configured your DomU with VCPUs and how these run on actual physical CPUs. For example, if you run two domains which are configured with a single VCPU each, then it might be that Xentop shows 100% CPU usage for both domains if they run on different physical CPUs, but only up to 50% each if they run on the same physical CPU. You can see the assignment of physical CPUs with the xm vcpu-list command.

Also, I would recommend to use XenMon for measuring CPU utilization on a Xen system. Have a look at this: