[Xen-users] Filesystem Corruption

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Filesystem Corruption
From: Roman ZARAGOCI <roman.zaragoci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:27:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:28:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Our virtual machines have some filesystem corruption problems.
The filesystem is being mounted on read-only mode. When running fsck
command, everything goes ok.

Our configuration
Dom0 :
RHEL4 Update 3
Xen : 3.0.2.2, compiled from sources.
Linux Xen kernel : 2.6.16
File-System : ext3 w/ LVM

DomU :
Fedora Core 4 ou 6
Xen : 3.0.2.2, compiled from sources.
Linux Xen Kernel : 2.6.16
File-System : ext3, w/o LVM

I've read some stuff about risks using an ext3 filesystem with loop
devices, we cannot guarantee the write order on disk between vm's
filesystem and Dom0's filesystem.

Does everybody encounters this problem before ?

Do you think that should be caused by using an ext3 (with journaling on) for
vm's filesystem (wich are using .img files) ?

Any suggestions about using caches management for DomU and Dom0 ? (do we
need to delete cache and ext3 logging on DomUs)

Thanks in advance for your answers.