Re: [Xen-users] HVM and IO devices

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM and IO devices
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:59:39 +0100
Cc: Roberto Jung Drebes <drebes@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:00:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I need to make some experiments using Xen and HVM. My question is
> regarding IO devices. I know that Xen supports unmodified guest OSs
> when running in HVM mode, but does it include unmodified device
> drivers? What kind of hardware can be transparently used by the guest
> OS?

Generally an HVM guest will be given access to emulated models of a set of
real devices (disk, network, CD-ROM, graphics, and possibly sound and USB
although I don't think many people use those).  These all look like real
devices (although the host won't necessarily have those actual devices) and
the guest will just use it's normal drivers for those devices.

HVM guests are not given direct access to real hardware devices.  It's
technically not very easy to do this for most interesting devices; you can't
pass a PCI device to a guest because it won't know where to issue DMA
commands to (since it doesn't understand memory layout).

Some guys are working on getting HVM guests to run in such a way that they can
do DMA directly, and correctly (although this doesn't address the problem of
isolating them from taking over the machine using DMA access).

Passing through USB devices to guests through the Qemu device model is
possible, although I've heard varying reports of how well this actually
works.  In principle it ought to be fairly straightforward to let an HVM
guest access serial / parallel ports, but I'm not sure if this is supported.

> My experiments will probably run with a single domU in adition to
> dom0, so providing exclusive access to a device in domU wouldn't be a
> problem.

Sounds like the HVM PCI passthrough work I mentioned above might help you
eventually.  Patches are being posted on xen-devel by developers at Neocleus
who are doing this stuff.  It doesn't provide isolation for that DomU to stop
it taking over the system though.

> Also, will the introduction of IOMMU support in CPUs change anything
> about this scenario? And if so, when are CPUs expected to begin
> shipping with IOMMU support (I see announces from both Intel and AMD
> but not any concrete information).

IOMMU support solves both the translation and the protection part of this
problem, whereas the HVM PCI passthrough work from Neocleus and some patches
from AMD that utilise the gart only fix the problem of translation (to give
correct behaviour) not protection (to give isolation).

I also don't know when the hardware will be available.  Probably the
representatives from those companies won't be able to tell us anything more
than what's on the websites due to NDAs.

Hope that helps some,
Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.