RE: [Xen-users] Assign multiple cpu's to a single vcpu

To: "'Shem Valentine'" <shemsp1@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Assign multiple cpu's to a single vcpu
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:22:56 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:24:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        There are following options as far as I know - but You maybe know it
already, it is commonly known:
A. Flag vcpus:
vcpus=N # N .. number of virtual processors
B. flag cpus:
#cpus = "" # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0" # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

I have installed in the last week two DomUs with the MySQL for tests, so
maybe I could test Your problems on my instances if I can reproduce the
problems - but I am not very skilled in MySQL, so can you help me - how did
You figure out the MySQL daemon is not using more than 1 vcpu? The only
statement/diagnostics inside of MySQL which I found is something like

show engine InnoDB status;

But there is written nothing about the CPUs...

I do not think one thread could run on more CPUs - but at least there are
more threads running if You run MySQL... I do not understand what does it
mean if You write " MySQL did not support threading natively "... As far as
I know, nearly every DBMS supports the processing of the requests (at least
from multiple clients) in multiple threads - if all clients would run only
in 1 thread, the performance would be very very poor...

The poor performance of the DB can also be connected with the fact You use
the DOmU installed in a file, not on the block device, what causes a common
performance problems in the case of heavy R/W disk operations - what can be
the problem i the case of DB management systems.

What MySQL Version do You use?

        With best regards

                Archie