[Xen-users] Enabling Gigabyte HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Enabling Gigabyte HVM
From: Michael Hoesing <m-hoesing@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:56:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 04:57:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As a follow up to this post
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-07/msg00476.html

I have ZenEnterprise 4.0.1 and Virtual Iron 3.7.2 running Windows guests
on my GA M61P S3. To enable the AMD-V hardware virtualization
capabilities on my Gigabyte motherboard:
      * install the Gigabyte bios version F2 dated Dec 2006 (download
        from Gigabyte support site) and expand out the self extractable
        executable file(s) on to a floppy
      * at boot press the delete key to edit bios,then F8 to get
        Q-Flash:
      * save the current bios configuration to a floppy
      * note: the F2 bios version has no enable/disable setting for the
        "V" cpu capability, but it is there and it works (I am glad it
        works, but "automagicly" always worries me)
      * I had a KVM lock up on me under the new configuration and had to
        clear the CMOS, the F2 bios version was still there and
        XenEnterprise 4.0.1 and VirtualIron 3.7.2 both worked fine after
        the clearing, but the last 2 bullets scare me, good thing all my
        endeavors on this box are academic
      * agreeing with Age_M, test the "_____" out of this setup before
        applying this configuration to anything meaningful in your
        environment (and I also have no liability)

Somewhat dangerous, but for an $90 mobo and an affordable (Athlon X2
3800) CPU, getting the hardware virtualization applied to Xen derived
products without having to spend thousands on a server class machine, is
appealing for underfunded faculty.