Re: [Xen-users] Using mainline PVM

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using mainline PVM
From: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:49:24 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:50:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:55:24PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> First off, I take it you've compiled the guest with PAE?  Only PAE guests will
> run under x86_64 Xen.

        I'll check on that.

> Second, you should be fine off using the top level vmlinux / vmlinuz.  bzImage
> won't (yet) work.

        The toplevel vmlinux is 66MB!  How to shrink it?  Is strip(1)
safe?

> Thirdly, confusingly, vanilla 3.1 doesn't properly handle pre-3.1-era 32-bit
> guest kernels.  I believe changes to fix this are in the unstable tree...  If
> the mainline kernel doesn't use the latest post-3.1 interfaces then maybe
> this is the problem you're seeing.  In which case a newer Xen / tools (and
> possibly dom0) might solve it.

        This was Linus' mainline git tree as of my email.  I "hope"
that's new enough :-)

> These are my guesses; I've not tried Xen64, nor using a mainline kernel
> myself, though so YMMV, sorry.

        Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #94

        "Make it a habit to do nice things for people who
         will never find out."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle