Re: [Xen-users] Dumping a partition instead of the whole disk ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dumping a partition instead of the whole disk ?
From: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:38:11 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:40:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 08 August 2007, Sebastien Caps wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is a way to dump a partition
> instead of the whole disk
>
> so i would like to do
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.img
>
> instead of
>
> dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.img
>
> And run it on xen after

i guess it's on the QEmu side, but it would be _very_ nice to have some way to
create a disk image with only the partition table, and the partitions
themselves would be on separate files.

something like:

; first get some partitions from different places:
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.img
dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=hda2.img
; then build a partition table
qemu-img-partition hda1.img hda2.img -o hda.img

and then use only hda.img. it would appear as a read-only partition table, and
the partitions would be stored on the other image files.

hum... does anybody here know enough of the qcow format to tell if it's
possible without new code on the emulator layer?

--
Javier