Re: [Xen-users] domU disk image over NFS

To: Tomoki Taniguchi <tomoki.taniguchi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU disk image over NFS
From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:19:58 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:22:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
How safe is running a domU sda1 off of an image file located on an NFS?

I am thinking about setting up a WEB server for hosting our internal
web apps on
a domU.  I am thinking about creating the root disk image on the NFS
folder so that when i do i live migration the disk image is available
on the new server.

is this safe?
how is the performance?
is there a better way to do this without investing in SAN?

You should definitely look at iSCSI. It's a "SAN solution" but doesn't require any special hardware, and is well supported under Linux & Xen.

Rich.