Re: [Xen-users] RE: Xen-Kernel detects just 3.2GB Ram on a 64Bit Debian

To: "Robert Lacroix" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Xen-Kernel detects just 3.2GB Ram on a 64Bit Debian
From: "Peter Peltonen" <peter.peltonen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 00:19:54 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:17:35 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=JXSnR46eLlJI3DZWnz06K05f8y3xUw87Ld3xmqb2aBez59NU+iQRyfGYL2oKPXDTE7mAceX503HimnBnNs+RfVTnIoj97AFvzcrZvEZo18eTo9Qxzrmd+NgKh3gJxHGsClfB6sfbJW4xUSH0iR62xagkT+jCuMv7ThAxY4BM+CI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have (almost) now solved my issues with Xen not resolving all RAM of
Supermicro server.

As grub patching seemed a bit too much work, I went straight ahead to
flashing the BIOS.

Everything else went just fine except one strange thing: Before the
upgrade BIOS reported 5904M of RAM. After the upgrade it reported only
5360M.

After BIOS upgrade I booted to 64bit CentOS5. To my disappointment the
system still saw only  3,2G of RAM.

But I did not give up :)

I thought that if the problem was with grub, maybe some older version
would work. So I installed 64bit CentOS 4.5 and installed Xen 3.10 to
it from the binaries Xensource provides. And this is what I can now
see on my server's screen after issuing `xm dmesg`:

(XEN) System RAM: 5343MB (5471676kB)

So the problem was with grub I think and I probably just hurt myself
by flashing the BIOS as I lost a few hundres of megabytes of memory.
But at least we made this much progress.

Cheers,
Peter